Wednesday, October 12, 2011

New sleeping arrangement...

As you've probably read before we've had no end of sleeping problems with Sarah. We had never intended on co-sleeping with Sarah but out sheer exhaustion it happened, because breastfeeding laying down in the middle if the night is so much easier. Not only can I catch a few zzzz's but its saves my back and neck from falling asleep in funny positions from sitting up.

To be honest hubby isn't a fan of us co-sleeping, he has his own opinions on the matter. But he has conceded we are doing what we need to do survive with some sleep and sanity. One of his biggest complaints up until recently is that we are both big people....hubby is 6ft and I am a good 5ft8" and there isn't enough room for us and Sarah. Hubby has spent many a night sleeping on the edge of the bed.

So I offered up the solution of side carring the cot to our bed, to free up bed space for us and also as a way of transitioning Sarah into settling more on her own sleep surface.

Happily hubby agreed that side carring the cot could make for a great compromise to our arrangement. So after doing a little more research on how to effectively side car a cot to the bed, we made the transition a few weekends ago.

We are all so much more happier for more space to spread out properly for proper restful sleep. At the kids day time nap, I can lay down to feed her with her laying on her mattress and I will often do some blog reading during this time (yes that's why my iPad was in the pic above).

So just before I sign off I just want to add a note and a bit of a disclosure about co-sleeping and bedsharing. It's not for everyone, but if you feel that it is an option you would like to entertain. I can only suggest that you do your research on the benefits and safety measures one should consider in setting up this arrangement. At the end of the day you know your baby best and you know what is going to work for them and your family arrangement.

I'd be very interested to hear from others who have co-slept or bed shared side caring it and how it worked for you, you baby and family dynamic.

1 comment:

  1. We've had all three of ours in the bed. It wasn't what I set out to do, and its not for everyone, but they love to be by your side and I hate crying babies. 7 year old got in again last night - it is a hard habit to break. I do love the cuddles and warmth. 2 year old is now in a cot near the bed and sleeps most nights in her own bed. I tried sleep school. It was pretty harsh but made some improvements with the first and not a lot with the second. I think some kids are just worse sleepers than others. The less you stress yourself worrying about it the better - I was pretty resigned to sleepless nights 3rd time around. Still breast feeding my child to sleep at times - there is no right or wrong just what works for you.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...