Thursday, October 27, 2011

Wet nursing....

One of my oldest and dearest friends asked me a favor the other day. The story goes like this my GF and her husband have 5 children, and one of their family members has bought them tickets to a much desired concert they would like to attend. My darling GF has breastfed all her children and shares much in my opinion and desires to provide our children with breast milk.

Sarah's first feed a little over 8 months ago.

I imagine though when you have 5 children it is hard to find someone who is wiling to babysit all the children at the same time. Furthermore that task is probably made more difficult if you still have a baby who is breastfed and are unable to leave expressed breast milk. Not all breastfeeding mothers can express milk, but it is not necessarily an indication to a mothers supply. So it does leave a mother such as my GF in a difficult position if she is not wanting her baby to have formula.

So I am very honored and a wee bit surprised to have been asked by my dear friend if DH and I would be happy to look after their youngest when they attend the concert and if I would be comfortable to breastfeed her daughter. She let me know that it was completely okay if I was uncomfortable with the request. Even though my GF and I have known each other in excess of 25 years, and is like a sister to me I didn't need to deliberate long about giving my answer, with the exception of asking DH if we had anything on for the date in question.

So if it isn't already clear the answer I gave my GF was a firm YES, yes I will do it.

Breastfeeding is often a subject that causes angst for many mothers and opinions and experiences differ. I know the topic of wet nursing is very rarely spoken about, and opinions and reactions regarding the topic may very well cause controversy. But I'm very interested to hear others reactions, opinions and experiences, because at the end of the day if we don't talk about it, we fail to be open to educating ourselves and others further regardless of where we stand with our opinions.

7 comments:

  1. Wow, how awesome. It's great that she feels comfortable enough to ask you, and that you said yes! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with noelle, you are lucky to have each other as friends to have such a good connection - and you are right wet nursing is something that is not spoken of often in our society

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Just dropping by to let you know I am hosting 'Word for Wednesday' and this week the word is outdoors. You can join in all week , not just on Wednesday or use one of your previous posts about outdoors. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree. I think you're so fortunate to have the kind of friendship where she felt comfortable asking you and you had n qualms about saying yes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's ridiculous that there is any issue with this, but I think there is a modern day taboo on wet nursing. I know women who would be squirming at the thought and didn't cope well with Salma Hayek breastfeeding another child. Good on you for being brave enough to speak positively about it, hope it all goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How great is that! I'm in awe that your GF asked you and even more so that you said yes! It's such a special thing breastfeeding...and to be able to share it, amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...