Thursday, January 5, 2012

Start the morning with Bircher....

I shared with you all recently that we are embarking on lifestyle changes, permanent, sustaining ones in 2012, and everything from meals to routines and everything else in between is being examined. So the start to our days is being looked at, my breakfasts with kids have always been healthy with fruit, toast and Wheatbix generally on offer. But with all our efforts in place and going full steam at the moment I am upping the ante on everything. Yesterday I gave scrambled eggs another go in a hope that Cohen may have found a fondness for them since the last offering........no such luck.

But one thing I know he does love is porridge and one breakfast I absolutely adore is Bircher muesli. So with that in mind I thought I would offer up my little combo and see if he enjoyed it and to also give myself a more sustained start to the day, rather than the toast and coffee habit I have fallen into since Sarah's birth.

Trudie's Bircher Muesli


(I am never an exact cook with measurements......I like to say that's how the magic happens, so bare with me and my use of measurements).

In a large bowl or airtight container place:
* two good, large handfuls of rolled oats
* a small handful of shredded coconut
* a grated apple.....red or green whatever you have on hand
* a good sprinkling of cinnamon.....probably about a teaspoon and half or to your tastes

Mix all together then cover mixture with milk or fruit juice ie. apple juice. I use milk as apple juice is too loaded with sugar most times. The milk or juice should just cover the mixture, give it another stir around and then cover with cling wrap or airtight lid and put in refrigerator over night.

In the morning serve out into bowls with a sprinkle of sultanas, nuts (I used crushed walnuts because that's what I had on hand, but almonds and seeds like sunflower seeds work well too), also add a dollop of natural yogurt, sliced banana and a drizzle of honey.

I guarantee you that it will be the yummiest of starts you will of had to your morning in ages. These rough measurements will give you about 3 small serves. Give it a go and if you have any troubles with measurements and your results let me know, otherwise play around with it and the nut and fresh fruit combos to your tastes.

Enjoy.

Oh and Cohen's verdict was yum and he cleaned his bowl out and asked for more. Oh and obviously for little ones omit any ingredients of concern like nuts when serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...